Roast Ranch Chicken with Rosemary Sweet Potatoes
1 pasture-raised whole chicken (about 4-5 pounds), at room temperature
1 bottle of Chosen Foods Ranch dressing, plus more for serving
4 sprigs rosemary, roughly chopped
2 sweet potatoes (about 4 cups), sliced into cubes
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
¼ cup avocado oil
1 whole garlic (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 425°F
- Pat the chicken dry using unbleached paper towels
- Cover the dried chicken with 1 cup of the ranch dressing using your hands or brush, making sure to get inside and outside of the chicken. Let it marinate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Once the bird is marinated, place it breast-side up in a cast-iron skillet or a baking dish
- With the chicken legs facing you, use a knife to cut through the skin area between the leg and breast
- In a bowl, mix rosemary, cut sweet potatoes, avocado oil, salt and pepper. Layer the sweet potatoes, and garlic around the chicken
- Set the skillet into the oven. Roast for 30 minutes, basting the chicken in ¼ cup more of the ranch dressing, preferably using a brush.
- Roast for another 30 to 35 minutes. Make sure you check the chicken when an hour has passed.
- To check doneness, you can insert a thermometer into the thickest part of the bird and make sure it has reached a temperature of 165°F. Using a knife or fork, poke the inside of the breast (close to where you cut) to see if the juice runs clear. If it is still pink, put it back in the oven for 5 minutes.
- Let the chicken rest for 15 minutes before serving
- Serve with a side of ranch for dipping potatoes in