Sweet Potato and Apple Casserole with Four Roses Bourbon, Bacon, and Pecans
2 pounds orange-fleshed sweet potatoes (yams), peeled and sliced into ½-inch rounds
4 slices bacon, chopped
2 Granny Smith or Golden Delicious apples, peeled, cored, and cut into ¼-inch wedges
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
¼ cup pure maple syrup, preferably Dark Amber (see note)
2 tablespoons Four Roses Bourbon, dark rum, or apple juice
½ teaspoon cornstarch
½ teaspoon kosher salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/3 cup toasted and coarsely chopped pecans
- First, cook some chopped bacon until it is crisp, and save the bacon. Pour about 2 tablespoons of the bacon fat to a baking dish and brush it inside the dish
- Precook the sliced sweet potatoes in boiling water for about 3 minutes, and drained them. This way, they won’t take so long to cook. Then arrange the sweet potatoes in the dish.
- Now take a couple of peeled sliced apples and tuck them in between the sweet potatoes.
- Melt the butter and add the syrup then bring it to a boil in a saucepan. Just stir in the Four Roses Bourbon and cornstarch and let it thicken–it only takes a few seconds.
- Pour it over the sweet potatoes and apples and season with salt and pepper. Now bake for about 30 minutes at 400 degrees F until it is bubbling and browned.
- Just before serving, sprinkle with the chopped bacon and pecans