Tennessee Whiskey Apple Pie
2 prepared pie crusts
5-6 apples, peeled and thinly sliced (we recommend mixing a few varieties of apples for the best flavor)
3 oz Nelson’s Green Brier Tennessee Whiskey (divided)
¼ cup unsalted butter
½ cup light brown sugar (packed)
½ tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp nutmeg
1 tbsp cornstarch
1/8 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 375° F degrees.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add in apple slices and toss with the brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Continue stirring as the apples release their juices and the sugar dissolves, creating a sauce. Stir in cornstarch and allow the sauce to thicken. Splash in two ounces of Nelson’s Green Brier Tennessee Whiskey, stir and remove from heat.
- Press the bottom crust firmly into the pie dish and flute the edges as desired. Add your apple filling to the pie. Add the top crust, either left whole or cut into lattice strips. Create an egg wash by beating together one egg and one ounce of Tennessee Whiskey. Lightly brush egg wash over the crust. Sprinkle the top with granulated sugar.
- Place pie on a baking sheet (to catch any drips) in oven and bake for 20 minutes. Lower the temperature to 350° F and continue baking for 50 minutes. If the crust starts to become to brown, cover loosely with foil.
- Allow the pie to cool on a rack before serving. Slice and serve with your favorite ice cream and a pour of Nelson’s Green Brier Tennessee Whiskey.