Honey Chipotle Hush Puppies
- Hush Puppies (Yields: One 8-inch square pan)
1/4 cup sugar
2 green onions-thinly sliced
2 Chipotle peppers in Adobo, chopped
1/4 cup honey
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 TBSP milk
Canola oil for frying
- Dipping Sauce/Spread
2 TBSP butter-softened
2 TBSP honey
- Hush Puppies
- In a medium bowl, combine Pamela’s Cornbread & Muffin Mix, sugar, scallions, and chipotle peppers
- In a measuring cup with spout combine honey, eggs, and milk
- Pour egg mixture into bowl with dry ingredients, stirring gently with a fork until thoroughly combined Mixture should have the consistency of thick hummus. If too thick, add a splash of milk. If too thin, add a sprinkle of Cornbread & Muffin Mix.
- Fill heavy small saucepan with approximately 2 inches canola oil
- Set over medium high heat, and heat to 315°
- Using a mini ice cream scoop, and working in batches of 4, scoop small balls of cornmeal batter into hot oil. Turn occasionally using a metal slotted spoon, and cook until evenly golden-brown, about 2-3 minutes.
- Remove onto a paper-towel lined plate and sprinkle with salt. Repeat with remaining batter, making sure the oil temperature stays around 315 to 325°.
- Dipping Sauce/Spread:
- Combine 2 tablespoons softened butter and 2 tablespoons honey for a dipping sauce and serve immediately with prepared hush puppies.