340g plain/all-purpose flour
95g caster sugar
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Place the butter into the freezer for a few hours before starting to make the shortbread.
- Grate the frozen butter and mix with the dry ingredients.
- Mix the butter, flour and salt together until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs (don’t over mix).
- Line a square 23cm pan with parchment paper and pour in the mixture, pressing down slightly to flatten the top (it should be about 3cm high).
- Bake at 120°C for 55 minutes.
- Sprinkle with a little sugar when it comes out of the oven. Let the shortbread cool completely before cutting (overnight is best).