Whether it’s Dry January after the holidays or Sober October after the warm summer months, spending a month or so off alcohol can have surprising benefits. You may feel yourself sleeping better or your anxiety may be eased a bit. These positive changes may spur you to continue your dry — or damp — streak just a little bit longer.
But there’s a problem: You’re bored with drinking sparkling water with a lemon in it. And why should you skip out on all the fun just because alcohol is removed?
Here are a few sippers to try out when that feeling to shake things up hits just right.
Freixenet Alcohol-Removed Wines
For the person missing their refreshing glass of wine, check out Freixenet. As the world’s leading Cava producer, Freixenet, has produced two wines sans alcohol that you can drink on their own or as a part of an enticing mocktail.
Produced in the Penedès region of Spain using a blend of Airén and Macabeo grapes, Freixenet Alcohol-Removed wines were created to taste like premium sparkling wines thanks largely to a proprietary vacuum technology to extract the alcohol while maintaining the characteristics of the wine.
The fruit-forward sparkling wines, a rosé with notes of wild berries, floral and tropical fruit, and a white that offers tropical, citrus hints with persistent bubbles.
You can purchase these wines on Drizly
Betty Buzz Sparkling Mixers
This refreshing, lower-calorie mixer is made with only clean ingredients. Available in five flavors — Sparkling Lemon Lime, Tonic Water, Ginger Beer, Sparkling Grapefruit and Meyer Lemon Club Soda — each 9oz bottle is made to mix into your favorite mocktails or even fly solo. Looking to impress your friends with a delicious mocktail? Try the ABC Drink or a Blackberry Margarita:
- 1/2 Bottle Betty Buzz Ginger Beer
- 1 oz Apple Juice
- Pomegranate Seeds
- Apple Slices
- Cinnamon Stick & Star Anise
- Fill your glass with ice.
- Pour apple juice and Betty Buzz Ginger Beer into glass and stir gently.
- Add 2 generous handfuls of pomegranate seeds into the glass.
- Garnish with apple slices, cinnamon stick and star anise.
- 1/2 Bottle Betty Buzz Sparkling Lemon Lime
- Fresh Orange Juice
- Fresh Blackberries
- Lime Wheel
- Muddle fresh blackberries mixed with a splash of fresh orange juice.
- Pour mixture into a glass with ice.
- Top with 1/2 bottle of Betty Buzz Sparkling Lemon Lime.
- Garnish with fresh blackberries and lime wheels.
Free Spirits is created through a process called Distillate Reconstruction, each one of the Free Spirits is crafted by identifying all the raw materials, the interactions, and the alchemy that give a traditional spirit its unique flavor profile. With the Spirit of Bourbon, Gin, Milano, and Tequila, most cocktails are still available for consumption including the Snow Day and the Cozy Season.
The Snow Day
- 2 ½ oz The Spirit of Gin
- ½ oz Meyer Lemon Cordial*
- Egg white
- Dehydrated lemon or freshly grated Meyer lemon zest
- Mini baked meringue (or fresh meringue if you have time and patience)
- Round snowball like rocks glass
1. Add the gin, lemon cordial and egg white to a cocktail shaker and dry shake (no ice) until the ingredients foam.
2. Add ice to the shaker and shake briefly until chilled.
3. Strain into a spherical rocks glass or a coupe.
4. Top with a crunchy baked meringue or if you’re feeling it, some freshly whipped meringue.
5. Garnish with grated Meyer lemon zest or a dehydrated piece of lemon.
FOR MEYER LEMON CORDIAL
- You’ll need about 3 lbs. of Meyer lemons which will give you 2.5 cups of juice and 2 cups of cane sugar.
- Grate one lemon for the garnish and juice and strain the lemons into a saucepan.
- Add the sugar and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Remove from heat and allow it to cool.
- You’ll have plenty enough for a cocktail party.
The Cozy Season Sour
- 2 ½ oz The Spirit of Bourbon
- 2 tbsp Persimmon Purée (peel 1 super ripe Persimmon and mash up with a muddler) ½ oz Warm Spice syrup*
- ½ oz Lemon juice
- Cara Cara orange slice
1. Add all ingredients to an iced cocktail shaker and shake briefly.
2. Pour out the cocktail into a rocks glass.
3. Garnish with a Cara Cara orange slice and mint
*FOR WARM SPICE SYRUP
- In a saucepan add 1 cup sugar, 1 cup water and 1 tbsp pumpkin spice mix.
- Heat until the sugar has dissolved.
- Allow to cool before use.
Brews from Athletic Brewing Company
Looking to reduce the amount of alcohol you drink, but don’t want to give up your craft brew obsession? Athletic Brewing Company might be exactly what you’re looking for. This award-winning company is perfect for active adults who are running marathons on the weekends or even chasing after little ones. Their, “Give It a Try,” campaign incentivizes new customers to take 50% off their first month as club members. Their new Under The Moon Stout has woody characteristics from being aged on French vanilla oak chips, it reveals roasted and chocolate notes. It’s the epitome of a great winter brew. For IPA lovers, try Jumbo Juicy IPA or a Round of Cheers to get your fix.
You can purchase non-alcoholic brews here.
Martini & Rossi
Famously known for their Vermouth, Martini & Rossi were inspired to join in on the mocktail trend with their non-alcoholic aperitivos, Vibrante and Floreale. Pairing perfectly with light bites, anyone interested in reducing their alcohol consumption or crushing Dry January will love a mocktail like Vibrante Spritz:
Martini & Rossi® Non-Alcoholic Vibrante Spritz
- 2 oz Martini & Rossi® Non-Alcoholic Vibrante
- 1 oz Grapefruit Juice
- Soda Water
- Pack a high glass with ice
- Pour the Martini & Rossi® Non-Alcoholic Vibrante and Grapefruit juice into the glass. Add soda to top
- Stir gently for a few moments
- Garnish with the grapefruit wheel and enjoy!
De Soi’s Sparkling Apéritifs
Founded by Katy Perry and Morgan McLachlan, De Soi is a range of non-alcoholic apéritifs made with natural adaptogens. Inspired by the French ethos of pleasure and restraint, these spirits can be combined for a delicious mocktail or sipped on their own.
De Soi and Boisson, the beloved NA beverage retailer, have teamed up to offer an exclusive Dry January bundle and sweepstakes designed to help you enjoy the moment while celebrating mindfully. This limited-time $99 bundle is available exclusively at boisson.co.
Anyone looking for mocktail recipes to try, we recommend the Peachy Keen:
- De Soi Purple Lune
- De Soi Pour Purple Lune into a pretty glass
- Then garnish with a slice of peach and a blackberry.
You can purchase a variety pack of De Soi’s here.